The Introduce Yourself Thread

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    cheekjulie

What is your name?
    Julie
    How do you describe yourself ideologically?
    Pro Market, pro peace
    How did you first hear about Tom Woods?
    Ron Paul Curriculum, 3 of my boys use it
    Other Fun facts about you?
    I can speak some Mandarin. I met Matisyahu after a concert.I fed carrots to an elephant.

Courses your looking forward to?
    Western Civ.

rmor
    Participant

What is your name? Robbie Morgan

How do you describe yourself ideologically? I am a recovering Progressive Leftist. I would have referred to myself as a Liberal, but have since learned that moniker is inaccurate. I like to think of myself now as more of a chalkboard that was once full of presumed conclusions but is now mostly wiped clean and rewriting itself with the truth. I am coming further into Libertarianism and hungry for information. Thus, I am here.

How did you first hear about Tom Woods? Internet searches for Libertarian podcasts. His name comes up a lot. Also caught him on the Jason Stapleton Show.

Facebook and Twitter profiles? facebook.com/morganra

Other Fun facts about you? I was a Bernie Sanders supporter in early 2016. Oh, you said “fun facts” not sad facts. I have been working with a boxing coach for over a year now and I am about to start knifemaking and blacksmithing as a hobby.

Courses your looking forward too? I just joined today, and judging by my misguided past I am going to start with the “Introduction to Logic” course. 🙂

bigqueue_qlewis
    Participant

What is your name? Quentin Lewis

How do you describe yourself ideologically? I started out as a supporter of Ronald Reagan, so I suppose you might say I was conservative, and I was driven by his “Government isn’t the solution, Government is the problem” message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XObcP69dhCg
    So I call myself a libertarian, though I am no fan of parties, and so have kept my distance from even our own organization.

I had loved the message of Ron Paul, and I think I met Tom at one of the Liberty Forum events in NH where he was signing books. I came to love podcasts many years ago, and eventually sucked up one of his for my long drive to work…..I was hooked! Bob Murphy came along into my life though those podcasts.

Facebook and Twitter profiles?
    https://www.facebook.com/bigqueue

N/A

Courses your looking forward too?
    I love courses of economics…..I try to figure out our future and how to negotiate it, so learning all I can in this area is actually fun!

Below is

richard
    Participant

What is your name?

Richard Phillips

I guess kind of libertarian? But still learning.

Believe it was from stumbling upon him in a Mises Institute video on Youtube. I got into libertarian ideas via the ‘Rubin Report’ channel on Youtube.

I built an Ikea bookcase today and I had no parts left over!

Stuff about economics especially. Honestly it all looks interesting.

t
    Participant

What is your name?
    Ben

I don’t, but if I did, it might go something like: Grace, Love, Liberty.

1-2 years ago, looking into homeschool.

Yep! @Ben_Turnbill and Facebook too.

Big family.
    I’ve taught swing-dance to >100 9th-graders all at once.
    I almost juggled peanuts for a living.
    Philosopher in training

All of them. as soon as I get my dataspeed back. 🙂

kisanri
    Participant

What is your name?
    Kim Ringsmose
    Denmark

AnCap for practical purposes.
    Conservative christian.

Mises.org years ago.

NA

There is nothing funny about me!

Forthcoming history of Progressive Rock

quarterback
    Participant

What is your name?
    Thomas Freese

Libertarian An-Cap

Probably a link from LewRockwell.com because reading The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History was my first into to Tom’s work. Then in late 2014 I started listening his podcasts. Hooked ever since.

Thomas Freese on Facebook; tomfreese.com has my book reviews.

I live in Atlanta.
    I’m a former D-1 baseball at the University of Michigan. I love sports. Played and coached basketball. Played football. Play competitive tennis and volleyball now. I enjoy attending and watching pro and college games.
    I’m an advocate of Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint.
    My path to libertarian-ism starts with Walter E. Williams. After hearing him sub for Rush Limbaugh I read his book More Government means Less Freedom. That clicked with me. I was active in the LP locally in Georgia from 1999 to 2002. I was and am a Harry Browne fan. I discovered Ron Paul in this phase.

I have gone through Trails West (loved it) and the 10 best/worst presidents (loved this one too). I’m in the middle of Western Civ to 1500. I’ve read Brion’s book How Alexander Hamilton Screwed up America (review at tomfreese.com) so I would be interested how the course covers it. Next I’m interested in the remaining history courses first.

I would love if there was some sort of course comparing Western Civilization more directly with other notable cultures since Christ. In China, Africa (like the Gold Coast), Japan, and Muslim empires. Leftest attacks of Western Civilization implies life would be by default better without it by highlighting negative things like imperialism and slavery. Of course taking for granted the good things like individual liberty, prosperity, innovation, life expectancy, etc… The Trails West does a little of this with indigenous tribes. I liked the comment about the Aztecs being the Nazi’s of their day, LOL.

I’m also interested in African-American history that aligns with liberty. People like SB Fuller, Booker T Washington, etc. Maybe a course on Thomas Sowell books, lol. I have particular interest in this in part because my grand kids are African-American.

mcrow24

What is your name? Michael Crow

I’m a small “l” libertarian. I do and have worked with LP folks but don’t agree with a lot of things the party does. I would describe myself as an anarcho capitalist but believe that the it’s not practical to push an agenda that only the end goal is acceptable when we’re light years away from it. I believe that we need to to take a step by step approach to achieving anarcho capitalism.

To make my stance simple, people should be able to do whatever they like so long as they don’t harm anyone or their property.

I don’t recall, I think I just googled “libertarian podcasts” and it came up. Been hooked every since, probably 2 years now.

Facebook

I don’t eat gluten. Not because I’m a hipster but because I have Celiac Disease. I First watch Night of The Living Dead when I was 7, been a fan of horror movies and books ever since.

All of them.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.