Preferred course order?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bc_richards

Is there a preferred course order? Particularly with the economics courses it seems like the study would benefit from a particular order of the classes.

For instance, if I wanted to study economics I assume I should start with Austrian Economics Step by Step. Then I’d move on to…Whats Wrong with Textbook economics? Then end with the course on Keynes or the courses on economic thought?

Perhaps I missed it, in which case I apologize, but I’d love to have a general syllabus of what order to take the classes in.

Thanks!

I just joined and have the exact same question. Any advice would be most welcome.

nall.

Mosnessesq
    Participant

I too just recently joined and have the same question regarding best order to take the courses.

paul.morrop
    Participant

Same question. Some of these are straightforward as they include clear date ranges, but others are a little more ambiguous.

The ordering is a little subjective (history vs. economy vs. political), but looking quickly through the list, here is my proposed list, with 2 caveats: (1) I am not a historian, and though I have read a decent amount I’d expect some suggested changes from faculty members who had a hand in creating the courses, and (2) I haven’t reviewed the specifics for each page yet, so there may be more specific date information to guide the finer ordering. Feedback welcome!

Should be part of thought process from beginning
    Introduction To Logic

Overall Western Civ historical base
    Western Civilization To 1500
    Western Civilization Since 1500

Overall background of political/economic contribution to history, built on Western Civ base
    History of Political Thought, Part 1
    History of Economic Thought, Part 1
    History of Political Thought, Part 2
    History of Economic Thought, Part 2

US focus part 1, interleave history with economic/constitutional/coverage of individuals of the period
    US History To 1877
    American Economic History, Part 1
    The American Revolution: A Constitutional Conflict
    The Early Republic, 1807-1820
    The Jefferson Nobody Knows
    How Hamilton Screwed Up America
    How Freedom Settled the West

US focus part 2, interleave history with economic/constitutional/coverage of individuals of the period
    US History Since 1877
    American Economic History, Part 2
    Little Houses of Liberty, Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Literary Genius
    Latin American History
    US Constitutional History
    Austrian Economics, Step by Step
    Keynes: Overview and Critique

Contemporary topics, best-covered with deep understanding of historical, political, economic base
    What’s Wrong with Textbook Economics
    Conservatism and Libertarianism
    The Presidents: Best and Worst
    SciFi, Liberty, and Dystopia, Part 1
    SciFi, Liberty, and Dystopia, Part 2
    Mythology and Western Civilization
    Critical Theories, Cultural Studies, and Postmodern Theory

info
    Participant

Great advice Paul

jasoncox
    Participant

Thanks, @PaulMorrow
    Excellent suggestion on order. I believe I’ll be using your course order as I go through these.

Thanks again!

paul.morrop
    Participant

Thanks @JasonCox! I’m currently through both of the WesternCiv classes and into History of Political Thought. I admit I put a pause on Introduction to Logic after getting about halfway through. Main reason is I took an Introduction to Philosophy class before and have good exposure to the topic. Secondary reason is that this particular topic, combined with Gerard Casey’s teaching style (more dry, explain directly from slides) requires more visual concentration than I could budget at the time. Tertiary reason is I am biased towards learning about history :). Jason Jewell’s approach/topic of Western Civ was much easier for me to listen to while driving etc. I am seeing a similar thing with History of Political Thought (also taught by Casey) but this topic is more ‘listenable’ than the Logic class, and has provided some good insights on early social structure and political motivations. I plan to work in Logic at some point, helpful but maybe not crucial for some of the history/timelines, but once you’re focusing directly on critiques of political or economic theory I think it is important to have better grasp on the logical element. The journey continues! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.