Political History of the West

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    HEM_93
    Participant

Dear professors,

After a question on the latest LC live session about which region of the U.S. has historically been friendly to libertarian ideas (in which Brion McClanahan suggested that the West was a good embodiment of an individualist conception of liberty), I started to wonder a little more about the political history of the West.

How did the West shift from the stronghold of populism that Prof Woods discusses in this course to the more free-market/conservative place it is today? If any of you know of any key events, personalities, economic or demographic shifts that contributed to this transformation, I would be interested to know. Thank you in advance!

woods
    Participant

My apologies for missing this somehow! This I don’t know off the top of my head, but perhaps Professors Gutzman or McClanahan might know, and you can find them in the “to 1877” forum.

woods
    Participant

My apologies for missing this somehow! This I don’t know off the top of my head, but perhaps Professors Gutzman or McClanahan might know, and you can find them in the “to 1877” forum.

Much of this had to do with the Southern diaspora. 20 million Southerners moved west after Reconstruction. Some were populists, but most were looking to be rid of the general government in one way or another.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.