The Introduce Yourself Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    alexmerced

Didn’t find another simple thread, reply with your own introduction by copying the questions below

What is your name?

How do you describe yourself ideologically?

How did you first hear about Tom Woods?

Facebook and Twitter profiles?

Other Fun facts about you?

Courses your looking forward too?

Below is mine….

What is your name?

Alex Merced

I generally just go by the term Libertarian, I generally do believe a state less society is the natural result of institutional evolution overtime… so I occasionally call myself an Anarcho-Hayekian (even though Hayek wasn’t near an anarchist, you can get to anarchy from his or rothbards world outlook so I usally make a distinction between anarcho-rothbardians and anarcho-hayekians… long story, I did a video on it awhile back)

I was sucked into the Ron Paul Revolution back in 2007 and started devouring the content on mises.org the first video I saw with Tom is when Jeffrey Tucker interviewed how about his 33 things about american history book… and have tried to consumer everything Tom Woods since.

Facebook.com/AMLibertarians

Twitter.com/AlexMerced

Youtube.com/AlexMerced

– in 2013 I ran for NYC public advocate on the Libertarian Party Line and got 1% of the vote, got the most votes on the libertarian line (some candidates got more cause they were also on the republican line)

– I train people on Wall Street in NYC where I sneak in Austrian Economics and Libertarianism and have had my role in instilling a more radical libertarianism among many of the new flock of finance people.

– I run Libertarian101.com and LearnEconomicsNow.com which are playlist of videos I did teaching stuff

– I would love a class on different types of banking systems (fractional reserve, free banking, full reserve, types of money systems)

– Other schools of economics thoughts (NIE, Post/New Keynesian, MMT, Neo-Classical, Institutional)

– History of Labor Laws in the U.S.

– History of Government Run Insurance (FDIC in 1933, PBGC in 1974, SIPC in 1976, etc.)

– History of Retirement and State Run Pensions (What led to the passing of ERISA, why did states use 8% as a discount rate)

Kolbesdad

What is your name?
    Kolbe Conger

Richard Maybury once called himself a Juris Naturalist. I really agree with that. I am not one for anarchy. Align with Libertarian Party

In 9th Grade, I needed a source for my AP Gov Class on Capitalism and CST. Tom Woods; The Church and the Market, I stumbled upon and I began reading his books.

Do not do Social Media

I am an 11th grader and really wish the age limit to vote was 16. I play Rugby: 2nd Row, Scrum-half. Love Sports, Weightlifting, and Reading Austrian Economic Theory. Enjoy studying Thomistic Theology

A Comparative Systems Class
    Environmental Science (non-proggressive BS)
    An Introduction to Financial Markets
    An American Government class
    and a Microeconomics course

craigartzner

What is your name?
    Craig Artzner
    Conservative Libertarian. I grew up more or less in a Republican family, and solidified those views as I got older, up until my early 30s. My political story is very much like Tom Wood’s, I became a neocon when I was in college, but as I got older I became disillusioned with the Republican “establishment”. I had heard of libertarians and Ron Paul before, but it took awhile to come around to that way of thinking. I was against gay marriage and thought the drug war needed to be fought, LOL.
    I saw him on the John Stossel show talking about unions. From there I went to YouTube looking for any speeches and seminars available to listen to. I think I may have seen them all.
    On Facebook under my name. Probably should be on Twitter, but haven’t joined yet.
    My family is a polarizing mix of relatively extreme political ideologies. My mother’s side is conservative neocon I guess I would say, and my father’s side is liberal democrat statist (although they claim not to be statist). I’m also a car guy. I have a 1973 Chevy Blazer, it’s a full convertible (think Chief Brody’s truck in the movie “Jaws”), and I also have a lifted golf cart for off-roading.
    Anything really. Don’t have one in particular I can single out.

alexmerced

Anyone else?

brady20
    Participant

What is your name?
    Brady. We’ll keep it at that.

I align strongly with Libertarian principles but hate to be pigeonholed. I’ve never had a strong political leaning in my life until now.

Via LewRockwell.com and his podcasts.

Former professional gambler.

Courses you’re looking forward to?
    Austrian Economics, Logic

What is your name?
    Vinny

Libertarian. Call an ambulance.

Through Peter Schiff.
    And I first heard about Peter Schiff because he was one of the recommended channels listed on RockingMrE’s YouTube page. And I know RockingMrE because he’s one of my subscribers.

No

I do voices and I can clap with one hand.

andrew.esselbach
    Participant

My name is Andrew Esselbach. I’m an electronics assembly tech, and I currently live in eastern Washington.

I consider myself a libertarian anarchist.

I grew up in a family dominated by republicans, so I naturally assumed that I was too. In 2004, a few months before I turned 19, I enlisted in the army. I did a combat tour in Iraq from 2006-2007 conducting route clearance operations around the Anbar province, mostly in and around Ramadi. After spending a year getting shot at, blown up, and watching good friends getting hurt and killed, I came home an angry person. The financial bubble was beginning to implode, and the 2008 election campaign was starting to gear up. I remember the night I was looking at my ballot trying to figure out which clown I was supposed to vote for. I was partially drunk, and I tore up my ballot in disgust. A few months later, a good friend of mine invited me to join a reading group that was going to focus on the constitution, American founders, and the early America government. He gave me a couple books to read, but the study group fizzled out before it even started. But my friend knowing my frustration with the world, encouraged me to continue reading, and to look up some guy named Ron Paul.

I went to YouTube and starting watching videos of Ron Paul. He made sense! He was principled, and his message rang true. I heard him make references to Austrian Economics, Mises, and Hayek. About the same time, another friend of mine was reading the Road to Serfdom, and the Fatal Conceit, which I also read. Internet searches of Austrian economics lead me to FEE, and I downloaded and listened to stuff in their audio archives which introduced me to the basics of the Austrian School. I started reading books by Mises, and It wasn’t long before I stumbled on Mises.org.. As I started working my way through the website, I discovered Tom Woods. I joined Liberty Classroom within a few weeks of it being launch.

Facebook: Facebook.com/AndrewEsselbach

I look forward to any additional courses on economics, history, and philosophy.

kerimcclain
    Participant

What is your name? Keri McClain

How do you describe yourself ideologically? I’m pretty much an anarchist. Not a fan of government in any form.

How did you first hear about Tom Woods? through Mises.org

Facebook and Twitter profiles? Facebook Twitter

Other Fun facts about you? I am a graphic designer hoping to work inside the liberty movement.

Courses your looking forward to? All of them! Right now, I’m trying to decide what to watch first!

craigartzner

Great posts! Vinny I’m subscribed to RockingMrE too. He has alot of good things to say. I don’t agree with everything he says, but most of it strikes a positive chord with me.

rconnor14

What is your name?
    Ryan Connor

Constitutional minarchist (please don’t hate me), but I’m also a huge fan of Rothbard and can’t really argue with him philosophically. I just think the best way to bring about the maximization of liberties is to have a government whose sole purpose is rights protection. I’m pretty much always for less government in everything.

A podcast that mentioned his name and then I found him through his own podcast.

Find me on Twitter: @RyanConnorYAL

I currently run the Young Americans for Liberty Podcast, so check that out. I’m also working with a state senate runner who is a libertarian running under the Republican ticket (I’ve tested the crap out of him, and he checks out)

Courses your looking forward to?
    Austrian Economics courses. I’ve always wanted to really learn about the nuts and bolts of Austrian Economics, but never really found a way to do it until now. Also looking forward to the history that won’t be littered with statist propaganda.

anthonymay

removed.

dajepson

What is your name?

Daniel Jepson

Libertarian. I’m proud to say that, like Dr. Woods, I became a libertarian despite spending my undergraduate years at the People’s Republic of Harvard. However, I had the considerable advantage of growing up in England, where politics is much less of a national obsession. When I was young, the word “politics” primarily connoted nothing more than a bunch of old guys in wigs droning on about boring topics, and occasionally saying “hear hear!” Having grown up in such a neutral environment, it was not difficult for me to see through all the blather about affirmative action that I encountered upon arriving in Cambridge, to say nothing of the ridiculous “living wage” campaign that reached its crescendo during my junior year.

I’m seriously impressed by anyone who becomes a libertarian despite having grown up in the United States, where the general nature of political discourse – let alone the formal indoctrination from public schooling – is so conducive to developing irrational attitudes on the subject.

To answer this, I should first resume the story of my college years. Having heard that libertarianism had something to do with “Austrian economics”, whatever that was, I obtained a copy of Human Action. I certainly liked Mises’s approach, and encountering this book was enough to completely kill my already waning interest in the Intermediate Macroeconomics class that I was taking that semester. But to my eternal embarrassment, I didn’t entirely “get it” on this first reading – I didn’t fathom just how completely Mises was invalidating the entire mainstream framework. So as I went on to other pursuits during the next few years, I didn’t spend much time thinking about economics of any variety. And even when the financial crisis happened, it didn’t occur to me that there was any connection with what I had read back then.

All of that changed in early 2009, when during a visit to Barnes and Noble, I came across a little book called Meltdown. Suddenly, it all clicked into place – I was like a cartoon character with the lightbulb going on above my head. Since then, I have read everything I can find about Austrian Economics, and done what little I can to try to help those around me understand what a ridiculous scam the mainstream of the subject is.

Nothing relevant. However, I did recently purchase the domain name firepaulkrugman.com, and if my current career hiatus stretches much beyond this summer, I may start posting at this site. The point would be to offer up a daily piece making fun of the idiocy of mainstream economists. I also write for misesboston.com, though I only have one article up at present.

I grew up in the borough of Runnymede, near where the Magna Carta is thought to have been signed.

Courses YOU’RE (ahem) looking forward TO (ahem)?

All of them. I’ve sampled lectures from most of them so far, and they are, without exception, thoroughly excellent.

jtillett

What is your name?

Josiah Tillett

Constitutional Libertarian

Ron Paul Revolution, baby. You just find out about people at some point.

facebook.com/jtillett
    @Tillett4Liberty

Very politically active. Ron Paul alt. delegate to RNC in 2012. Currently serve on my county planning commission (in the process of incrementally de-Agenda 21-ing my county). Started a political consulting firm with my equally libertarian best friend in order to help liberty candidates be more competitive. Ran state house campaign last year that beat 20-year RINO incumbent. And I have fun doing it.

Courses you’re looking forward to?

Any and all. Bring ’em.

What is your name?

Thomas Bivens

Constitutionalist Libertarian

I mostly followed Ron Paul in 2007 after a friend turned me on to him, and I started listening to him on youtube. I first heard Tom at the Rally for the Republic. I will never forget the energy I felt watching it on my television. For those first few months, I felt uneasy and unsure if I was the only one who felt this way. Were all those video comments from trolls or agents of Ron’s campaign?

The Rally changed that. It was the first time I saw a room full of people, most of them not much older than me(or the same age). I felt the energy in that room from so many people who believed in liberty. It tore me up that I could not be there. My greatest regret is that i could not go and have not been able to afford to go any liberty event.

Anyways, at that i event I saw both Tom and Lew Rockwell for the first time. That time, I started to follow lewrockwell.com and Tom was on of the more regular article writers back then.

In Tom, I saw a person who could articulate Ron’s views in a way that would crush the opposition.

One of my proudest moments of Tom was when he crushed Congressmen Mel Watt(D-Bank of America) and forced him to shut up. I had never seen ANYONE get Mel Watt to shutup(that man loves to hear his own voice). It did not surprised me in the slightest that he was one of the 5 congresscritters who got a thank you from the Fed. ”

I keep my FB for my small group of friends(I have less FB friends than everyone I know)
    My twitter profile is mostly neglected.
    My Favorite Star Wars Movie is Episode III, because that is where the Great Galactic War(The Clone Wars) is revealed to be a plot to centralize power in the hands of one person(Supreme Chancellor,and later Emperor, Palpatine).

I am interested in writing and game development.
    History of Money and Banking
    History of the Middle East

(These three areas have been so dominated by leftists for far too long)
    History of Latin America
    History of Modern Africa
    History of Southeast Asia

Society and Liberty:A liberty-based approach to Sociology(Another area that has been dominated by cultural marxists)

Didn’t find another simple thread, reply with your own introduction by copying the questions below

What is your name?

My name is Matthew Standridge. I’ve been a member for a few months, but after getting to meet Tom in person, and some others in the liberty movement, it reinvigorated me to get back to learning.

A reformed Republican. I guess I would consider myself a libertarian minarchist. Maybe one day I’ll be full blown anarchocapitalist. Baby steps.

I first heard Tom Woods when I was watching a lot of Ron Paul videos on You Tube during the 2012 campaign. Then I started watching more Tom Woods videos. Then one of his books. Then his podcast. Now LC. Hoping to throw in a couple more of his books when I get the time.

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.standridge.9
    Twitter: @Dr_Matt

I’m a Dentist in rural KS. Trying to simplify life. Knock out debt, grow a garden, get healthy again, grow my business, just all around become more resilient.

The American History courses I’m really looking excited about. I’d like to know the real history, not the propaganda I was fed in school.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.