On Miscalculations of Ancient History

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    joshua_78

I was very piqued when you discussed the Mycenaean “Dark Ages” (specifically the “Centuries of Darkness” argument). I wonder whether you have been familiarized with Immanuel Velikovsky’s work detailing the gap in Egyptian chronology. He took much slack, for his work, yet never wavered. As an Amateur in this, I was curious if you had any thoughts about these theories having comparable gaps?

Jason Jewell
    Participant

I have Velikovsky’s Ages in Chaos on the shelf in my office, which argues that there might be an extra 600 years in Egyptian chronology that shouldn’t be there. This is time that would overlap with the period discussed by the Centuries of Darkness authors, although Velikovsky’s gap is bigger. Is that what you are asking?

joshua_78

I thought the timeline was a little less than 600 years but after reopening the book immediately saw that you were right. What I was pondering for myself was the idea/possibility that since all pre-history comes from a fixated timeline, relying on the accuracy of the Egyptian empire, that maybe there’s even more of these gaps out there. Aside from Velikovsky, whom i was told was an idealist, simply trying to promote the legitimacy of his religion, I hadn’t much to go on regarding whether there was truth to his calculations. After hearing your presentation on the Grecian theory around a dark age, I’ve been reinvigorated to look at this further.

I was always fascinated by Velikovsky’s work but thought it was isolated. Though there are varying gaps in time, is it fair to argue that if there is any truth to overlapping rulers, that much of pre history is suspect? In other words, either of these theories may be true based on which pharaoh ruled singularly or concurrently. Taking Everything into consideration: the intermediate periods of Egyptian rule, the multiple rulers at one time (on occasion), the understanding that Egyptian scribes only wrote about what they wanted known (ie, they never wrote about losing battles, mummification, etc.), the strange fact that each pharoah had 5 names-some of which were interchangeable with other pharoahs- and the fact that we use this as the basis for calculating all of pre-history, I guess I’m basically curious of how deep this goes? Are there any more works of scholars that might help make pre-history more concrete for someone interested?

Jason Jewell
    Participant

I think your use of “pre-history” is throwing me off a bit. That term usually refers to the period before written records were kept, but it sounds like you might be using it to refer to recorded events in the Egyptian and contemporary civilizations. Is this right?

Sorry for the slow reply here. I’ve been on the road for the last two weeks and won’t be back in my office until after the New Year to look up any citations for you.

joshua_78

Apologies on my improper terminology; I meant B.C. Or BCE (which I dislike, personally). I’m just trying to get a grasp at the times before we started keeping records in a linear fashion. Your reply time is understandable and I appreciate you replying.

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Dating going back through the Roman Republic is pretty solid. When you get back before 500 or 600 B.C. you have to start making more assumptions and connecting dots. This is where the accuracy of the Egyptian chronology becomes really important.

joshua_78

Thank you VERY much.

dmcdec75
    Participant

Here’s a question: I recently found out about Anatoly T. Fomenko and his History: Fiction or Science and found a few ‘conspiracy theory’ sites that reference his work regarding a massive falsification of history. I’m trying to figure out how to approach this thoughtfully, but recently, I’ve heard that the difference between ‘conspiracy theory’ and conspiracy fact is about six months (thanks covid). I’m just a lay-person, so I’m wondering, how do I evaluate a site like this: https://www.stolenhistory.org/articles/79-a-d-no-more-pompeii-got-buried-in-1631.95/

It seems on the surface to be compelling. What am I missing? Thanks!

dmcdec75
    Participant

Here’s one of the interesting books i found:

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/bafykbzacebhz7lu4bpgu5ptq65lrxozvsorlbl6pyllgxzenf5r65xdnbvexe?filename=%28Chronology%29%20Anatoly%20T.%20Fomenko%20-%20History_%20Fiction%20Or%20Science_%20-Mithec%20%282003%29.pdf

It looks like there’s more than just a bit of doubt about the ‘dating going back through the Roman Republic [being] pretty solid.’

In fact, it looks like there’s been some serious buggering of our history, and not JUST 600 or so years of Egyptian chronology.

Wikipedia calls Fomenko a pseudoscientist, which in my book means I should pay very close attention to what he has to say.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.